And we’re back to regularly scheduled programming with some September party DIYS. “Don’t you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.”
Really enjoying handmade games, chandeliers, and table linens right now. Here are a few of my favorite DIYs for summer party time.
Whether you’re hosting Easter brunch this weekend, a baby shower for your bestie next month, or a DIY’d spring wedding, you should seriously consider adding these handmade details to your party planning to do list.
Lots of fun heart-shaped DIYs floating around the internet lately. These are some of my favorites and they’d be perfect for a Valentine’s Day soiree. Also I need these cocktails in my life.
I have some great clients whose upcoming wedding involves lots of shiny gold details (a couple after my own heart). Accordingly, I’ve been working with a lot of glitter over the past few months. I love glitter but more times than I care to admit I have looked in the mirror and thought, “Oh hey, you have glitter on your face.” The remnants of these projects will be with me for a long time.
Here are some tips I’ve learned about working with glitter.
- Do not play with glitter near your computer.
- If you get a cut while playing with glitter, you should stop and clean the wound before proceeding.
- When traveling with glitter, pack it securely in a zip lock bag, a Tupperware container or, and this is most highly recommended, double packed in both a zip lock bag and a Tupperware container.
- If you feel a sneeze coming on, step outside of the glitter area.
- Before bringing glitter into your home, be sure your domestic partner(s) really like you.
- Do not bake cookies within 24 hours of playing with glitter.
- Do not eat out of a community bag of chips while playing glitter.
- If your friend despises glitter, do not invite this friend over to your house before, after or during glitter play time. A month buffer period is preferred.
- Tile grout is the enemy of glitter.
- While you may not, your dog will look cute with glitter on its face.
Glitter rules. Proceed with sparkly caution.
There are so many cute DIYs floating around this time of year. (Get it? Floating, like in the pool? See what I did there?) I hope to tackle some of these over the next few months. What are you making for your next summer soiree?
Buttons are my new favorite party accessory. I recently used them for a baby shower and a friend’s graduation brunch. They’d be great as wedding party favors or escort cards too!
“People can get a cheeseburger anywhere, okay? They come to Chotchkie’s for the atmosphere and the attitude. Okay? That’s what the flair’s about. It’s about fun.”
I order my flair from this Etsy shop. They’re so nice and work quickly. Plus their buttons are cheap (hence the name) but great quality.
One of my favorite organizations hosted their annual gala last weekend. I got the chance to participate in their silent auction. Enter EHE’s Party in a Box.
The goal of Party in a Box was to provide the special touches that help a shindig go from ‘nice’ to ‘I-can’t-Instagram-this-stuff-fast-enough.’ Just add some treats, booze, a few friends and you’ve got yourself a real barnburner.
This particular box ‘o party included:
Since most of these have been received, I wanted to share the cards I sent to family and friends. I could tell you I send New Years cards because it’s more special than a Christmas card or I really like being original but the real reason is, I can never get my act together before the holidays.
I designed each side in Photoshop then uploaded it all to Overnight Prints. I used the 4.25 x 5.5 postcard size and, to save time and monies, ordered their standard envelopes. At the last minute I added a little washi tape. So happy with how these turned out.
And now it’s probably time for me to stop signing emails with ‘Happy New Year.’
Just so you know: Overnight Prints did not give me anything to write this (though they can if they want to). I needed something quick and inexpensive and they fit the bill perfectly.